14 Royal Portrush
When the Club formed in 1888, it was known as the County Club. It became the Royal County Club in 1892, when H.R.H. The Duke of York was it's patron. finally the name was changed to "The Royal Portrush Golf Club in 1985 with H.R.H. The Prince of Wales as patron.
Royal Portrush was the venue for the first professional tournament in Ireland in 1895 and in the same year the first Ladies Championships were held.
Fred Daly, the only Irishman ever to win "The Open", in 1947 at Hoylake, was a Royal Portrush member. July 1951 saw the first Open Championship ever held in Ireland, played at Royal Portrush on the course, redesigned by Mr H.S. Colt in 1947.